When your Contacts are Opting-in to your forms twice or thrice. It is imperative, that you find out the actual reason for it, as it may improve User experience.
Contacts opting in Twice or Thrice, can be because:
- Your Confirmation or Follow Up emails are landing directly in Spam Folder.
- Your users are looking for certain things, which they didn’t find.
- Or, may be they just love you too much 😉
So, solving this can help you improving Your Email Deliverability & User experience at the same time.
Giving your subscribers a brief idea about where to find what gives them a feel of familiarity. And, when you send them personalized emails it also helps in building effective engagements.
This gives us a chance to Give them a Wow moment as well, which makes it more fun 😊
That is why, I thought, why not customize it from the moment they click on that Subscribe Button.
Which led me to creating this Opt-In Campaign. This Opt-in Campaign, enables you to give a Wow moment & Relay to your contacts that you care (Little steps help in User Experience).
Generally, when a user opts in, he/she goes through two things:
- Confirmation Page
- Confirmation Email
Both of these can be customized based on whether user is already Subscribed or not.
Here are some ideas on how to use these customization options:
So, we avoid landing in Spam box by, redirecting users to a different thank you page on second time optin. Content of second Thank you page can have:
- Asking to check email for a Special Gift
- Asking them to Whitelist Your Email in case they are not receiving emails
- Contacting your Support in case of any issues
To improve user Experience, we put a Wow moment email in Campaign for second time opt-in. The content of the Email can have:
- Special Email Sequence
- Link to your other Campaigns e.g. Direct to Lead Magnet Fulfillment Campaign(s) if having multiple
- Starting points based on current point in achieving their Goals
And, for customizing these, I’m using two tools that are as follows.
- InfusionSoft >> Campaigns (If you are using InfusionSoft as CRM)
- PlusThis >> SmartLinks
You can also use Match Function (I’d still do it via tags cause those can be created as much as you want and are easy to manage once you know how)
I’ve created this campaign using InfusionSoft/Keap. However, based on the Marketing Software you are using, you can check for their built in tools.
InfusionSoft Campaign for Opt-In Newsletter
Here’s the Newsletter Campaign. (Click the image watch it more clearly)
Note: In Part 1, we are building ‘If else‘ for whether they have Subscribed before or not. This Campaign include one more Fun Email Open logic, which we will talk about in second part of the Blog.
How it Works:
- User Signs up for First Time >> Gets normal confirmation email
- User Signs up for Second Time >> Gets the second re-confirmation email that we added in Campaign
This can be followed n number of times depending on your idea of improving User Experience & giving a Wow moment to Contacts, or may be you can put a quick help guide email with links to various resources they can use from You, & not to mention the Services.
Building Campaign Logic:
We achieve this by creating two sequences, which are filtered using Subscribed Tag. Here’s how:
1. Campaign starts with a Trigger Tag (Click here to know more about trigger tags). Which gets removed in next Empty Sequence. After this we use decision diamond to filter people based on tag
- User Signs up for First Time >> Confirmation Email Sequence — We apply a tag for Subscribed (OR you can also use PlusThis Math function if you want to use a Custom Field, however those are 100 in Keap)
- User Signs up for Second Time >> Decision Diamond Check if Subscribed tag is there >>
(If tag is there) You can send your personalized email with subjects like e.g. You are the Best! Let’s Get Started, – Subscription Confirmed! A Quick Help Guide you get the feel. This can be customized in a way that, we care about if our contacts need any help.(If Tag is not there) Then contact goes through the Normal Confirmation Email Sequence.
2. Edit decision diamond using tag. I am using, Activity – Newsletter – Subscribed
3. Confirmation Email Sequence
In Confirmation Email Sequence, we have Apply 1 tag where we apply Subscribe tag. Following that, there is PlusThis SmartLink HTTP Post link, which enables us to send users to different thank you page based on Tags.
4. Re-Confirmation Email Sequence
Reconfirmation Email Sequence, contains the personalized content. So this one would depend on how you want to interact with them second time. For example, you can send one email asking if they need any help, that has various options e.g.
- Including a wow moment email
- Starting a Certain follow up sequence if you have Leadmagnet, You can simply ask them if they need that. With hyperlink, that starts it directly.
- Asking if they need any specific help
Thank You / Confirmation Page Logic:
Here, I use SmartLinks feature from PlusThis. You can check it out at : https://www.plusthis.com/tools/43-smart-links
I’m not affiliated to them, it’s just that, the tools is good. And I use it to automate things. They have pretty good documentation on these, so you might want to try that.
In case if you face any issues, just let me know. And I’ll be there to help.
There could be various reasons that people are opting in twice or thrice on your site. It could be good, or bad. For avoiding Bads, & Improving Goods, we can optimize the Opt-in process. This can also help in improving User experience. We can achieve this using various build in options available in Email Marketing Software. And the key to the content you put into Second time Subscribe email. Depending on your idea of it, it can help in creating the Wow moment for user.
There are various upcoming customization in this Campaign which are under progress.
Want to know, how I’ll be customizing it? I’ll show you in Part 2 of the Blog. So stay tuned 🙂
PS: Want us to help you in Keap (formerly InfusionSoft) Implementation for Marketing Automation? Visit https://mohandhanwani.com/keap-automation/ to get started.